The Special Care Unit at Broward Health North is dedicated to providing specialized care to serve the acute needs of the catastrophically ill, ventilator dependent or otherwise medically complex patient.
The Unit is appropriate for those patients who no longer require the intensive care setting, but will benefit from an extended acute care hospital stay.
We provide a step-down model which includes:
- Cardiac Monitoring
- Critical Care trained/ACLS Certified Nurses
- Aggressive Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy.
- We also have an excellent Brain/Coma Stimulation program for patients who are appropriate for those services.
Located in a full service hospital setting, our patients benefit from the many services available on site, and the physician specialists on staff at Broward Health North, an Adult Level II Trauma Center and a facility of Broward Health.
Our goal is to help patients reach their maximum potential as quickly as possible. Statistics indicate that when the rehabilitative process is started at inception, overall results are greatly improved. Because our staff are solely dedicated to the patients on our unit, we are able to provide a better ratio of therapist to patient care then other, similar programs.
By combining resources, our Interdisciplinary team offers patients a continuum of personalized acute care with a progressive rehabilitation component.
- Access to licensed physicians.
- Cardiac Monitoring and telemetry services
- Integrated Ventilator Alarm System
- Immediate access to emergency medical services
- Individualized treatment program
- Interdisciplinary team conferences
- Flexible visiting hours
- Pet Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Overnight stays may be arranged
- Patient and family support groups
- Adult ventilator-dependent patients
- Cardiopulmonary Disorders
- Catastrophic Illness
- Head/Brain Trauma
- Multiple Trauma
- Medically complex patients
- Multi-System Failure
- Neurological and Central Nervous System Disorders
- Pre/post organ transplants
We are pleased to provide an on site evaluation of patients for consideration. We accept referrals from attending physicians, consultants, case managers, social workers, insurance companies, nurses and family members.
We accept most insurances, Medicare and Workers Compensation.
We recognize the need for quick and efficient transfers. Please feel free to call us at 954-786-6790 to arrange a tour of the unit and address any questions to our nurse liaisons.