Child Life Program
The Child Life Program understands the importance of human growth and development, as well as the impact illness, injury, disability and hospitalization can have on the process. Child Life Programs strive to reduce the stress of hospitalization through promoting the normal social, emotional, and educational development need of the hospitalized children.
The goals of the Child Life Program are:
- Providing developmentally appropriate play, creative arts opportunities that will encourage mastery, coping and the expression of feelings
- Increase familiarity within the hospital surroundings, preparing children, teens and families for the medical experience
- Develop supportive relationships with patients and family members
- Bridge the gap between home and hospital by providing familiar activities (play, school, holiday parties and birthday parties, etc)
Top 10 Reasons to call a Child Life Specialist
What is a Child Life Specialist?
Child life Specialists have earned their bachelors or master’s degrees in Child Life, Child Development or a related field and are professionally certified by the Child Life Council. They are experienced as to how children respond to hospitalization and illness. Through education and play, a child life specialist can help your child understand and cope with his/her hospitalization.
- Promote family-centered-care philosophy
- Developmentally appropriate playroom and bedside activities
- Therapeutic play, including medical play
- Preparation for procedures, surgeries and tests
- Support and coping mechanisms for medical procedures
- Sibling support and education
- “What About Us” Sibling support days
- Oncology Support Groups in conjunction with Gilda’s Club South Florida
- Sickle Cell Support Groups
- Bereavement Support
- Special events, birthday and holiday celebrations are scheduled throughout the year
- Preoperative Tour (click to download flyer with more information)
- Pet Assisted Therapy
- Facilitators Hospital Homebound
- Hospital tours for class visitations can be arranged by request
- Parties & activities sponsored by community agencies
The Child Life Staff consists of a Child Life Coordinator, Certified Child Life Specialists and a Creative Arts Specialist (Music Therapist). The Child Life staff has a vast knowledge and years of experience in childhood growth and development, and the effects of hospitalization and illness on children of all ages.
Donations and Support
Gifts of toys for playroom use, infant toys, craft supplies, books, DVD’s, video games, gift cards and the like are most welcome. Donations must be new and safe. If you are interested in reviewing our wish list, click here. If you are interested making a monetary donation or in supporting a specific program, call the Broward Health Foundation at 954-712-3980.
For more information about our Child Life Program please call our Child Life Coordinator at 954-355-4356.
The Child Life Student Programs
Volunteering is an opportunity to gain familiarization with the hospital environment. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact our Child Life Coordinator at 954-355-4356.
Internship - not accpting at this time
The internship is specifically designed to help student meet the eligibility requirements set by the Child Life Council for child life certification. The internship will consist of 580 hours over a term of 13-15 weeks. The interns will be directly supervised by a Certified Child Life Specialist.
Candidates should be college seniors or graduate students with a background of child development or related fields.