Are you without Health Insurance? We Can Help!
The Medicaid Out-Patient Eligibility Department (M.O.P.E.D.) is a Community Outreach Program that was established to make a difference in people’s lives. There are critical economic challenges currently affecting many people in our community. M.O.P.E.D. is part of Broward Health’s solution and commitment to provide our community with world-class healthcare, just like we have for more than 50 years.
Broward Health has various financial assistance programs that can assist with hospital Inpatient, Emergency, and Outpatient accounts in addition to Clinic visits. The MOPED Program offers the following support in eligibility processing for:
- Medicaid, including Medicaid PSN and Medicaid HMOs
- Florida KidCare, Healthy Kids
- Tax funds/Charity
- Other State and Federally funded programs.
- Application assistance for food stamps, utilities, discounted phone service, and temporary cash is also available for qualifying applicants
The goal of MOPED is to improve access to medical care for those living within Broward Health service area, and is achieved by enrolling those that qualify into Medicaid and other financial assistance programs. In order to attract patients who would otherwise be dissuaded from seeking out medical insurance, MOPED works to make the process as seamless and as comfortable for patients as possible. Individuals seeking information about the program have the option to call, visit the MOPED website, or visit the office conveniently located at the Broward Health location closest to you.
All paperwork and forms for the application process are conveniently done in the M.O.P.E.D. office, which allows for faster processing. Patients are supervised by a staff member throughout the entire process, and are required to bring their medical bill(s), personal forms and documents, and identification with them in order to complete the application process. Since the inception of the Program, more than 26,000 patients visited the M.O.P.E.D. office in the first year of operation.
What you need to know
- You must apply for and comply with the application process for any available local, state, or federally funded health insurance programs for which you or any listed uninsured family member may qualify, e.g. Medicaid, Florida KidCare, etc. Failure to do so will result in a denial of your application.
- You can also apply on-line for Medicaid at www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/access or Florida KidCare at www.floridakidcare.org.
- You will be responsible for all medical service charges until your application for financial assistance is approved.
- To complete your request for Financial Assistance it will be necessary for you to provide the following information at your appointment (If married and spouse is also applying, both must attend to complete the application process):
NOTE: You MUST have with you all the required information listed below
or you may be denied.
What you need to bring
Proof of Residency/ Identification: For all adults applying
- Florida Driver’s License or State issued Identification Card (must not be expired)
If not available then:
- US Passport
- I-551 stamped Passport (all entry dates copied) or
- Valid Picture ID accompanied by proof of legal residency (Valid Alien Registration receipt card/green card or Form I-551or I-797)
Proof of Address: 2 items for each adult (patient, spouse and/or legal guardian) applying
- Current proof of address dated within 30 days: utility bill (electric, phone, water, cable, gas, etc), mortgage/lease/rent receipt, voters registration card, mail, other.
- If above information is in another name, then proof of residence/ID will be required from named person along with notarized letter indicating applicant is living at that residence.
- Prior proof of address greater than 30 days utility bill (electric, phone, water, cable, gas, etc), mortgage/lease/rent receipt, voters registration card, mail, valid ID with current address issues at least 30 days prior to application date.
- Proof of school enrollment for children living in the home
*PO BOX addresses and Broward Health bills will not be accepted as proof of address
Proof of Children/Dependents:
- Tax Return, birth certificates or proof of legal guardianship
Proof of Income (12 months verification required for all adults/ if married spouses income also required):
- Earned Income:
If not available:
- Current Income Tax Return (copies can be requested from IRS (800-829-1040) or www.irs.gov/pub/irs-fill/f4506 )
- Current Pay Stub (with Year to Date Gross Income)
- Current W-2 and current pay stub showing gross income or
- Pay stubs for previous 12 months showing year to date gross income, or
- Income verification letter (company letterhead or notarized) for the previous 12 months with gross income, or
- 12 months bank statements
- Unearned Income:
If no income:
- Unemployment Stub
- Pension/Social Security award letter/1099
- Notarized letter of monetary support from supporter with length of time and monthly amount.
- Notarized letter of room and board support from supporter with length of time support is being provided
**Supporters ID/Proof of Address is required**
- Where you need to go:
- CLICK HERE for a list of Broward Health Financial Assistance locations.
Additional information and/or documentation may be required to complete your application.
You may return above required documents to either the facility where you received treatment or mail them to:
ISC Building – CBO 3rd Floor
1608 SE 3rd Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Failure to supply the required information within 10 business days will result in a denial for assistance. You must apply for any available local, state, or federally funded health insurance programs for which you or any listed uninsured family member may qualify, e.g. Medicaid, Florida KidCare, etc. Failure to do so will result in a denial of your application.
You must complete a new application prior to your expiration date. All information is subject to verification. Providing false information may result in the DENIAL of any type of Financial Assistance through Broward Health.