WESTON, FLORIDA - Broward Health Weston formally unveiled its latest technology for breast cancer screening, the GeniusTM 3D MammographyTM machine, at a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Aug. 3.
"This technology is a game changer in the fight against breast cancer and we're excited to have it here at Broward Health Weston," said Christina Grove, interim vice president of the ambulatory division at Broward Health. "Early detection is key, and we now offer 3D mammograms that, according to a JAMA study, are capable of detecting 20 to 65% more invasive breast cancers than a standard 2D mammogram."
With 3D Mammography exams, the machine takes several low-dose X-rays as it moves in a small arc around the breast. Those images are compiled into a series of thin slices that allow radiologists to see breast tissues more clearly. The advanced technology can also deliver a more comfortable experience for some patients.
"We are thrilled to bring this technology to our friends and neighbors in Weston and are especially grateful for the support of the city, chamber and Broward Health leaders who joined the unveiling," added Grove.
Dignitaries at the event included:
- North Broward Hospital District Commissioner Levi Williams
- Broward Health Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Alan Whaley, Ph.D.
- Broward Health Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Alex Fernandez
- State Representative Robin Bartleman, District 104
- City of Weston Mayor Margaret (Peggy) Brown
- City of Weston Commissioner Byron Jaffe
- City of Weston Commissioner Mary Molina-Macfie
- Miramar Pembroke Pines Regional Chamber of Commerce Chair-Elect Marc Liebeskind
- Weston Chamber of Commerce Board of Director Stan Bostic
Also present was a representative from Senator Lauren Book’s office.
Broward Health Weston’s other services include urgent care, comprehensive diagnostic imaging services such as CT and MRI, as well as breast MRI and ultrasound.
For more information on the Broward Health Weston Women’s Center, visit BrowardHealth.org/Weston, or to schedule an appointment, call 954-759-7500.
Broward Health, providing service for more than 85 years, is a nationally recognized system in South Florida that offers world-class healthcare to all. The Broward Health system includes the statutory teaching hospital Broward Health Medical Center, Broward Health North, Broward Health Imperial Point, Broward Health Coral Springs, Salah Foundation Children’s Hospital, Broward Health Weston, Broward Health Community Health Services, Broward Health Physician Group, Broward Health Urgent Care, Broward Health International, and Broward Health Foundation. For more information, visit BrowardHealth.org.