Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – Broward Health is pleased to present this year’s Brightest Star Award to six employees selected for being outstanding examples of Broward Health Five Star Values - a group of core standards that promotes the system’s commitment to provide quality healthcare to all they serve.
“Our Brightest Stars set the standard for excellence in patient care,” said Broward Health President/CEO Beverly Capasso. “Each honoree has demonstrated individual acts of heroism, courage, kindness and generosity. They all understand that patients are at the heart of everything we do and strive to make a difference in their patients’ lives.”
The awards, presented by Capasso and Broward Health Commissioner Nancy Gregoire, represent the highest honor within the system’s robust employee recognition program. As one of Broward County’s largest employers, with a workforce of more than 8,400 employees, Broward Health proudly recognized the following seven honorees for their achievement:
- Sandra Ricks, case manager, Disease State Management, Community Health Services, realized she wanted to be a nurse at the tender age of 3, after spending most of her time in and out of hospitals. In her 35 years as a nurse she is building a legacy through her compassionate patient care and the many students she has helped prepare for the nursing world.
- Yvette Sterling Jenkins, patient care associate, Broward Health Imperial Point, has received countless positive feedback from patients, family members and fellow coworkers for her continued display of compassion, unending care, and positive energy.
- Marsha Birch, patient attendant, Broward Health Medical Center, is constantly an advocate for her patients. She is being recognized for staying after her work hours for her patients and for making all of them a priority. She exemplifies true commitment and kindheartedness.
- Jakub Prosek, registered nurse, Medical Surgical Unit, Broward Health Coral Springs, is congratulated on a daily basis by his patients for his excellent customer service and for always focusing on the human aspect of healthcare – offering comfort and support when needed the most.
- Cathy Gardner, lead shift radiology technologist, Broward Health North, has received several commendations from patients and staff, and is known for going the extra mile to educate patients, walk them through procedures, and calm their anxiety.
- Bonnie Eisenson, staff occupational therapist, Children’s Diagnostic & Treatment Center, has the go-to attitude and disposition that makes a real difference in the lives of patients and in the community. She especially knows how to step beyond her role to perform simple acts of kindness that have huge impact.
The Brightest Star is an annual system-wide accolade for staff members who were previously recognized for making significant contributions within their work units and for representing the Broward Health Five Star Values: Exceptional Service to All, Accountability for Positive Outcomes, Fostering an Innovative Environment, Fostering an Innovative Environment, Collaborative Organizational Team, and Valuing Our Employee and Community Family.