Monday Jul. 09, 2018
Is it Time for a Digital Detox?
Do your friends and family complain about how much time you spend texting, emailing or surfing the web? Are you depressed, restless, moody or nervous when you're offline?
If you're feeling any of these symptoms, you may have a "digital addiction" which may be harmful to your mental, emotional and physical health. Excessive screen time can become unhealthy when it interferes with your daily responsibilities or when it substitutes for real-life social interactions.
Follow these tips to curb your use of digital technology and be more present in your everyday life:
- Silence your cell phone or leave it behind when attending special events or during certain activities
- Turn off your phone for a set amount of time each day
- Put your for phone away when spending time with friends and family
- Reconnect with loved ones at the table by making your meals technology-free
- Don’t take your phone to bed or use it as an alarm clock
- Aim for one technology-free day per week
Broward Health, providing service for more than 85 years, is a nationally recognized system in South Florida that offers world-class healthcare to all. The Broward Health system includes the statutory teaching hospital Broward Health Medical Center, Broward Health North, Broward Health Imperial Point, Broward Health Coral Springs, Salah Foundation Children’s Hospital, Broward Health Weston, Broward Health Community Health Services, Broward Health Physician Group, Broward Health Urgent Care, Broward Health International, and Broward Health Foundation. For more information, visit BrowardHealth.org.