This time of year, everyone wants to get healthier and fit and find better ways to withstand challenges. How about setting a goal to effectively face conflict and resolve disagreements with your loved ones? Here are some good tips to follow:
• Practice positive speaking. Be clear about what you need and expect from others. Be open about your own feelings, thoughts and experiences.
• Listen! And pay attention to the non-verbal expressions of intense feelings.
• Adopt a win-win approach. Think, “we are all on the same team—everyone will benefit.”
• Take baby steps. Resolve the small problems before going on to more difficult issues.
• Get to the negotiation phase quickly. Once you have aired intense feelings, negotiate a solution — where the discussion is summarized and everyone agrees to the changes.
Source: Broward Health Employee Assistance Program