Monday Apr. 29, 2019
How To Overcome Resistance to Change
Change is inevitable, comes in many forms and usually means facing the unknown. It can trigger fear, stress and even panic from feeling a loss of control. Most of us have a natural resistance to change. But following these strategies can help you navigate changes with less stress, enabling you to successfully come out on the other side.
- Change your reaction: It’s the only part of change you can control. For example, if you’re facing an empty nest, focus on the exciting opportunities that await your child on the road to adulthood.
- Learn to adapt: If you’ve had to move to a new location, for instance, think of it as a chance to expand your social circle.
- Practice acceptance: If you’ve lost a loved one, for instance, acknowledge the sadness but hold positive memories top of mind to keep from being overcome with grief.
- Make counting your blessings a habit: Research suggests that gratitude helps improve your mood and increases your resilience to bounce back from upsets.
- Seek support: Whether it is family, friends, coworkers or a support group, having people to talk to can remind you that you’re capable and will make it through the change.
Source: Broward Health Employee Assistance Program
Broward Health, providing service for more than 85 years, is a nationally recognized system in South Florida that offers world-class healthcare to all. The Broward Health system includes the statutory teaching hospital Broward Health Medical Center, Broward Health North, Broward Health Imperial Point, Broward Health Coral Springs, Salah Foundation Children’s Hospital, Broward Health Weston, Broward Health Community Health Services, Broward Health Physician Group, Broward Health Urgent Care, Broward Health International, and Broward Health Foundation. For more information, visit BrowardHealth.org.