Is procrastination getting in the way of your New Year's resolution? Are you putting off a task at home or work?
The first step to fixing the problem is understanding why you're stalling. Is it coming from a place of fear, feeling overwhelmed, or unclear directions? Identify the real issue and take steps to fix it.
Try These Tips:
- Break it down to smaller, more manageable chunks. Then, focus on getting them done one at a time.
- Reduce distractions. This includes limiting checking your cell phone. Postpone checking for an hour until you’ve made headway on a task, or better yet, when it’s completed.
- Give yourself a deadline to get things done. For additional help staying on track, tell someone else about your deadline so that they can help hold you accountable.
- Single-task. Multitasking can overwhelm you and diminish your focus, which can contribute to procrastination. Instead, do one thing at a time, and then move on to the next thing.
- Don’t wait until you “feel like it.” Taking one small step toward your goal can lead to a chain reaction of steps, and before you know it, you’ve made progress!
- Take short breaks. Just getting up from your seat and stretching, standing up for a minute, or walking in place can help refresh you.
Source: Broward Health Employee Assistance Program