Monday Sep. 24, 2018
Malnutrition Awareness Week
This week is Malnutrition Awareness Week. Joanne Bassan, Broward Health's clinical nutrition coordinator, provides the following five tips to prevent malnutrition:
- Make healthier food choices: The best foods are those full of nutrients, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. Limit your intake of solid fats, sugars, alcoholic beverages and salt.
- Try snacking: A great way to get extra nutrients and calories between meals is to snack on healthy foods.
- Make food tasty again: Herbs and spices can help restore flavor to bland foods. Just remember to avoid herb or spice blends that are heavy in salt.
- Consider adding supplements to your diet: You may benefit from a supplement shake or other nutritional supplements. Talk to your doctor about these options.
- Get some exercise: Even a little bit of exercise can improve your appetite and keep your bones and muscles strong.
Broward Health, providing service for more than 85 years, is a nationally recognized system in South Florida that offers world-class healthcare to all. The Broward Health system includes the statutory teaching hospital Broward Health Medical Center, Broward Health North, Broward Health Imperial Point, Broward Health Coral Springs, Salah Foundation Children’s Hospital, Broward Health Weston, Broward Health Community Health Services, Broward Health Physician Group, Broward Health Urgent Care, Broward Health International, and Broward Health Foundation. For more information, visit BrowardHealth.org.