This smoothie has a combination of fiber, protein, fats and carbohydrates in the form of fruit. In comparison with juice-laden and fruit-filled smoothies, this combination may help keep blood sugars stable and balanced, and may also help to keep your mood stabilized.
The cacao may stimulate feel-good hormones and contains flavanols, which have been associated with improved thinking skills, reduced blood pressure and improved blood flow. In addition, you get a caffeine boost from the coffee and antioxidants from the blueberries.
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a dash chilled brewed coffee
- preferred sweetener to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and enjoy!
Lisa Farkas, MS, RD, LD/N, CDE
Clinical Dietitian, Broward Health Wellness Center