Sports medicine is an area of medical practice concerned with the treatment of injuries resulting from athletic activities. Sports Medicine bridges the gap between science and practice in the promotion of exercise and health, and in the scientific assessment, study and understanding of sports performance. Regular features include: sports injury prevention and treatment; exercise for health and recommendations for training and nutrition.
For more than 75 years, Broward Health has provided quality healthcare to the people we serve in the South Florida community. Today more than ever, that remains the cornerstone of our commitment and our mission as we evolve and grow. As the leading provider of orthopedic and sports medicine services in Broward County we have partnered with the School Board of Broward County to provide certified athletic trainers in twenty of the district’s public schools. Broward Health’s Athletic Training Program has been a major component of Sports Medicine for over 25 years. The program includes twenty-five licensed and an nationally certified athletic trainers.
The program was created by Broward Health orthopedic surgeon Dr. Dan Kanell. This outreach program helped to place certified athletic trainers in local high schools to prevent injuries to student athletes and to provide care for them as well.
Through education, supervision and treatment, our athletic trainers currently care for more than 14,500 local high school athletes. Our sports medicine team was instrumental in assisting the School Board in developing their concussion management program. Together with our community partners, Broward Health is committed to safe participation in school and youth sports activities.
- Because of our commitment to the safety and well-being of the youth within Broward County who participate in sport activities we fully support the following ideals:
- Ensuring that youth athletes have access to health care professionals who are qualified to make assessments and decisions.
- Educating parents, athletes, coaches, teachers and others about the signs and symptoms of sports injuries and conditions (e.g., brain injury, heat illness and exertional sickling).
- Assuring pre-participation exams before play begins and, where appropriate, conduct baseline neurocognitive testing.
- Ensuring that sports equipment, uniforms, playing surfaces and environmental conditions are checked for safety and best conditions.
- Educating players and others that there's a difference between pain and injury; and work to eliminate the culture of "playing through pain" without assessment.
- Ensuring that both general and sport-specific safety education be a priority for every administrator, coach, parent and player.
- Blanche Ely
- Boyd Anderson
- Coconut Creek
- Coral Glades
- Coral Springs
- Cypress Bay
- Deerfield Beach
- Fort Lauderdale
- Pompano Beach
- South Plantation
- Stoneman Douglas
The Latest Technology
Broward Health Weston is home to the first Siemens Definition AS+ 128 Multi-Slice CT Scanner in Broward County. It's the world's first CT Scanner to adapt to virtually every patient and provides imaging for most types of diagnostic exams, including vessel imaging, cardiac tests and cancer staging. It's exceptionally fast – even faster than the human heart – and produces spectacular images, plus in many cases it eliminates the need for follow-up tests.
Find a Doctor
We can match you to a doctor based on your location, language preference, and more. The search results will provide more ways to narrow your search.
Salah Foundation Children's Hospital at Broward Health Medical Center & Broward Health Coral Springs
1600 S. Andrews Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316